Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bordeaux Tram

This is one of my all-time favorite shots because it just "happened," there was nothing planned, no intention. We were simply strolling down the street in Bordeaux, France when I heard a sudden rush of wind behind me; I quickly turned and snapped this picture. I confess, I can't believe I got the shot, movement and all. Alas, seeing the image at this size does not do it justice. Once enlarged to at least 8 x 10 one can see the commuters on the tram, extremely still, almost frozen in space and time, while the tram moves so fast carrying them to their destinations. Its a much different experience seeing this photo blown up. Albeit, in this size, one can still glean the contrast between the old and new; the buldings in the background are historic and the perfect foil for the modern tram (which runs without wires utilizing underground electricity- ingenious!).

Sometimes in life, we have to "let go" and just let things happen. While I concede that it is quite hard to go through life without setting plans and having intentions, if possible for a few brief moments, we should all try to allow ourselves to just be and let things flow the way they will. I have found, as evinced from this photo above, that if I can let go and just snap a picture without trying so hard to capture something in a certain way, I may be pleasantly surprised by the results!

1 comment:

Barbara Landry said...

thanks for the pleasant journey to Bourdeaux this morning! i could actually feel the rush of air the way you described it all so beautifully. Baron Baptiste talks about "trying easy" vs. "trying hard" when we try easy, we are coming from the soulfull place, when trying hard, we are coming from the ego. it seems that photograpy is such a perfect medium to be the "vessel" to show up prepared to capture whatever shows up, and let serendipity do the rest!!
lots of love xxoo barbara