Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Lone Leaf, Mt. Equinox Vermont

While hiking to the top of Mt. Equinox, this past summer, I came across this lone leaf, holding on for dear life, before succumbing to its inevitable fall to the ground. It was bathed in the most beautiful light amidst the darkness of the thick woods, and I couldn't help but stop to shoot.

That day and that hike stand out in my mind as one of the last times I truly challenged myself physically. After herniating a disc in my back this past fall I have had a long road to recovery, that included the most horrific dibilitating pain I had ever experienced, and emotional challenges as I tried to remain positive at a really difficult time in my life. Being an extremely active person (and die hard skiier), and finding myself barely able to walk around on a daily basis (during ski season nonetheless!) was truly challenging. Yet, this photo and the strength of the leaf to "hold on" is so inspiring to me. I am at a point now where I have made tremendous strides and although Im not 100% back to my pre-injury self just yet, I know I am almost there. Seeing this photo and remembering that day, and my strength in climbing the mountain that day, continue to inspire my recovery and give me strength. I hope upon seeing this photo, it somehow gives you strength as well!

1 comment:

Barbara Landry said...

Mel,

I totally love the picture and the narrative. Isn't it amazing how it is the adversity that grows us?
You write so beautifully, and you are a wonderful photographer. Hope you are all well, and continuing on your healing path. lots of love, cuz'n barbara