Monday, May 5, 2008

Finding Inspiration

I am an avid reader of other people's blogs, but never thought to start my own, so I must give credit where it is due. Thanks to my cousin Barbara who gave me the idea that I could do this!
(Barbara recently started a blog to chronicle a amazing journey she is about to embark on to raise awareness and honor the life of someone close to her that was lost to breast cancer. I encourage you to take some time to explore her blog, http://www.trailsfordale.blogspot.com/, as she is an incredibly insightful person and her journey is truly inspiring.)

In the past year, I have developed what I thought was a new-found love for photography, however upon closer examination, I believe it was something I had inside me all my life. As a teenager my parents sent me on a summer travel programs and while most other kids came home with a roll or two of film, I can home with twenty. Similarly, after spending a semester in college studying abroad in Seville, Spain, I returned home with about forty rolls of film. So, while I was clearly good at excess, and snapped away to my heart's content, I didn't take the time to realize that photography was something I truly enjoyed.

However, in the past year or so I have become more aware of my life, my surroundings, and have essentially tried to "slow down" and appreciate every moment. In doing so, I realized I have a passion for photography and for trying to capture certain moments, scenes, and feelings.

This past November, for my one-year wedding anniversary, my wonderful husband noticed my love for photography and bought me a Nikon D40X digital SLR. I have never owned this type of camera and have set out to teach myself all about it through experimenting and having FUN with it. While others have recommended that I take some photography courses to learn the essentials, I don't believe I'm ready to take the "fun" out of the learning process, and feel (at the moment) that taking a course on photography will make it something too structured and formal for me. As a prior over-achiever in the school department, I think I will try too hard to please the instructors that I might lose sight of my personal love for taking pictures. So, for the time being, I'm experimenting with the camera, and trying to capture whatever strikes my fancy. Who knows what the future holds....perhaps I will someday be inspired to take classes to learn more about this art form, or perhaps I will simply be self-taught. Either way, I hope to have fun and enjoy it all!

One of my favorite types of photography is travel photography and taking pictures of all the incredible places I am so fortunate to go. And for that, I must thank my favorite travel companion and best friend, my husband Brian. He is constantly taking me on exciting adventures and vacations, wonderful day trips and scenic drives. He is always willing to pull off the road any time for me to snap away, and for that I am always grateful. I also believe he is one of my biggest inspirations; I take pictures to enable him to see the world through my eyes.

Now I have decided to share my journey through the lens with you, dear reader, whomever and wherever you may be. I hope you find something here for you... perhaps a photo will spark a memory for you, enable you to recall a particular place or feeling, or even simply bring a smile to your face. Ultimately, all of the photos I have taken and continue to take are of things that inspire me in one way or another. I believe we can find insipration anywhere. We don't have to go to a specific place or person to feel inspired. So, as the blogging portion of my journey kicks off, I hope you are able to find something you may take away with you from these photos, and I hope you'll come back and visit from time to time as the journey continues.

No comments: