Monday, May 5, 2008

The Floating Market Outside Bangkok

I took probably dozens of shots at the Floating Market just outide Bangkok, Thailand while we were there for our Honeymoon, and this aerial one is one of my favorties because it captures serenity and a calm, fluid motion that is the complete antithesis of what this place is in actuality.

The Floating Market is a chaotic hubub which literally assaults all your senses, where people come to buy and sell all types of food grown locally. Consumers eat on small stools on the side of the river, and merchants also buy the food in bulk to transport to restaurants and stores in Bangkok.

They also sell flowers, tsotchkes, spices, etc., but the main purpose here is the food. Everything from local fruits, vegetables, meats and dishes such as soups, dumplings, curried entres and intricately created desserts can be bought and consumed.

Unfortunatelty for the American tourist, all of the food is cooked and all the dishes/utencils washed with river water, which we can't drink due to our body's lack of antibiodies for some of the diseases found in the water. (About a quarter mile upstream I saw people bathing and using the river as a restroom, so even though I was hungry and the food smelled incredible, I was fine not partaking in the eating frenzy).

I love this shot because it captures some of the essence of the Thai people who live their lives simply and are bound by time-honored traditions. They are the most warm and welcoming people I have come across in my travels and I can't recommend a trip to Thailand highly enough.

No comments: