Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Train Tracks to NYC, Hoboken

In my opinion, the most beautiful aspect of New York City is the view of it from the outside. Although I grew up near the city and lived there for a number of years after college, my true apprecitation for NYC came when I finally moved away from it. Granted, I only moved to the other side of the Hudson River, yet I finally gained an appreciation for the beauty of NYC, from the perspective of one living across the water.

At this stage of my life, when I spend time in the city I find it noisy, polluted, congested, frustrating and I find myself feeling claustrophobic, whereas I once embraced every aspect of the "city that never sleeps." There was a time when I couldn't imagine any other place I would rather live. I thought the city was so exciting and fast-paced and I soaked it all up like a sponge. Yet, I'm still able to enjoy everything the city has to offer and can escape it in a heartbeat by crossing back to "my side" of the Hudson. However, from "my side" it is possible to see the true beauty of the city, with views one could never obtain from the inside. From my perspective, I am able to see the city's tranquil and peaceful side, as well as its magesty.

I took this shot from an old pier in "uptown" Hoboken. The tracks were once used to unload shipping freight onto the railroads. Today, the pier lies empty and in partial ruin, an example for all to see of the massive changes in industry and technology. It seems like a lonely place, that was once probably bustling much like the city itself. From this vantage point, I tried to capture the feeling of the tracks leading into the city, or perhaps reaching out to the city. I tried to capture the feeling of connecting with the city, as if the tracks could bridge the gap of the Hudson between them. However, I left a little bit of water in the photo to remind us of their disconnect and to highlight the changes in our infrastructure and industry.

No comments: