Friday, May 9, 2008

Tractor in Dorset, Vermont


In Dorset, Vermont, near my in-laws house, there is a place we jokingly refer to as the "Dorset Missile Defense System." It is a museum or homage or sorts to all types of old/used machinery, from tractors to old school buses and fire trucks and even something that looks like a missile. Someone (I have yet to find out whom) has dedicated his/her time to collecting the various old machines and displaying them for the public to enjoy.
Its quite the photographer's heaven, and while I have taken many shots there already, I'm already looking forward to the next time I can shoot there- there's just so much to capture!
Most people I have shown the pics to seem to gravitate to this photo in particular, and it happens to be my personal favorite from the series, because it leaves so much to the imagination. One aspect of photography that I am trying to explore at the moment is capturing only a piece of something in order to enable the viewer to decide the rest for him/herself. Its not as easy as it sounds, since when I come across something I want to photograph, I instinctively try to capture the entire image, or everything that I can see, even though sometimes just a portion of an object or scene will leave a much larger impression.

No comments: